Job offer - Lab & Workshop Coordinator
Job Offer : Lab & Workshop Coordinator
Application deadline: September 28, 2021 at noon
Start date: October 4, 2021
Status : Paid internship (Contract-to-permanent position)
Approximate contract length: 27.6 weeks (1 035 hours)
Flexible schedule, 35 hrs/week
Compensation: Negotiable $/hr
Eastern Bloc is an artists-run center that explores and pushes the creative boundaries situated at the intersection of art, technology, and science, as well as all other emerging digital practices. Eastern Bloc promotes audience participation, technological democratization, and the utilization of urban space via public intervention projects. Innovative in its nature, Eastern Bloc, through emerging artistic and technological practices, continues to advance a critical stance with regards to these many evolutions.
Under the supervision of the General Director and the Artistic Director, the position's main responsibilities will be to coordinate all lab and workshop activities for the 2021/2022 programme season. The candidate will be responsible for overseeing the smooth administration, logistics and coordination of all workshops and lab management. The successful candidate will work directly with the Artistic Director on the execution of the 2021 / 2022 programme, the smooth running of the centre and gain valuable experience and insight into the running of an arts organisation.
- Keep lab membership lists updated and be responsible for all lab member liaison.
- Respond to any workshop and lab related questions by email/phone.
- Answer questions from lab members on Mattermost
- Oversee the production of the selected workshops.
- Help coordinate communication of workshops with the Communications Coordinator.
- Help organise calls for workshops and manage the workshop registrations.
- Oversee the payment of workshop facilitators.
- Maintain and repair the lab's machinery, equipment and tools, in collaboration with the Technical Coordinator.
- Help train lab members and artists in residence in the use of the lab's machines, in collaboration with the Technical Coordinator.
- Ensure the maintenance of the lab spaces and ensure the lab spaces are clear and machines are safe.
- Manage members' access to spaces and the machines.
- Organise meetings with new members with the Artistic Director.
- Manage lab members' payments and office rentals.
- Prepare the workshop spaces and coordinatore the technical aspects of the workshops with the Technical Coordinator.
- Welcoming participants and trainers to the workshops, when required.
- Order materials, tools and equipment for the workshops, as required.
- Organise workshop / residency documentation
- Create applications to Emploi-Quebec for subsidies for workshops (budgets, lesson plans, etc.), with supervision from the General Director.
- Create reports for the emploi-québec workshops, in collaboration with the General Director.
- Canvass potential partners / organisations for the workshops.
- Organise events to publicise the lab and bring members together.
- Coordinate the arrival of volunteers at workshop events and provide them with training.
- Assist, if necessary, with the set-up of events and exhibitions
- Assist in organising the move and set up of the Lab in its new location.
- Assist in promoting the next lab membership campaign.
- Training or experience in the arts, sciences, technology or humanities.
- Experience in the production of artistic programming in a non-profit or cultural organization (an asset)
- Familiarity with basic electronics manufacturing (soldering, printed circuit boards) (an asset)
- Familiarity with basic computer programming skills (Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Max/MSP) (an asset)
- Familiarity with CNC, laser cutting, 3D printing, and woodworking (an asset)
- Knowledge of Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken French and English
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously under tight timelines.
- Interest in the digital and experimental arts community.
- At ease in a digital environment and teleworking.
- Great drive, autonomy and initiative.
- A willingness to learn new skills and contribute ideas.
The intern must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be between 15 and 30 years old at the beginning of the internship
- Have completed post-secondary education
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a person who has been granted refugee status in Canada
- Not be receiving Employment Insurance benefits and leave benefits during the internship
- Self-identify as underemployed, i.e. employed below their educational level or employed part-time
- Not have previously completed Digital Skills for Youth internship.
- The internship will take place on site as we prepare for the opening of the organization's new gallery and lab space in Montreal in fall 2021.
- The internship will include a series of training sessions coordinated by Communautique.
- The internship cannot be done as part of a study program.
Interested candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (including confirmation that you have read the eligibility criteria and are eligible for the position)
Send the complete application as a PDF to email@example.com before September 28, 2021 at noon.